The marble-clad “Grand Court” of Wanamaker’s 12 story building
at 13th & Market Streets in Philadelphia was completed in 1910.
This atrium contains a 2,500-pound bronze eagle and the pipe
organ originally built for the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair. The
building is currently owned by Macy’s.
1875 rendering of Wanamaker’s original store at the 13th &
Market Streets location.
In addition to success as a retailing pioneer, John Wanamaker
was the 35th Postmaster General of the United States, serving
in Benjamin Harrison’s cabinet from 1889 to 1893.